Friday, October 3, 2008

Journal: Friday, 10/03/08

► Leave the house heading for St. Louis around eight o'clock.

► First Stop: Harp's grocery in Marshall. We need to buy gasoline before we can travel much of anywhere. ($3.55/gallon)
I-44 Rest Area in Missouri

► Second stop: The vet's in Harrison where we drop off Rusty and Bucket for the weekend.

Rest Area n I-44 just west of Rolla. Where Jo and I ate lunch.

► Filled the tank again in Cuba. (Yes, there is a Cuba, Missouri) Gas had been only $2.94 at the Quik Trip in Ozark, MO, but was back up to $3.30 in Cuba. Unfortunately, we didn't really need any gas when we were through Ozark.

► Pulled into the hotel a little before three o'clock. (337 miles) Only stayed long enough to get our personal stuff unloaded. When we do a show in St. Louis, we usually stay in Fenton, a suburb on the west side. That means we must drive a bit farther to the show, but we don't have to fight rush hour traffic when we leave Monday morning.
Booth spot

► Arrive at the show site at the Historic Shaw Art Fair around four o'clock. (15 miles from hotel.)

Jo's surveying her booth spot before we begin setting up -- a good time for a yogurt break.

► We spent around three hours getting the canopy erected, the shelving set up and the boxes of merchandise unloaded from the van. That's about the same amount of time we usually devote to setting up both our booths. I reckon this was one of those situations where the work expanded to fill the time we allotted for it.

► For several years after this show began, Friday afternoon set up was not allowed. Check in began at 6 AM on Saturday morning. You had to get checked in, find your booth location and begin setting up in the dark.

The canopy is up and Jo is working on levelling her shelving.

It was during one of these early morning set ups that Jo and I got our first introduction to the fruit of the ginko tree. The show is held on a beautiful tree line boulevard. Some of those trees are female ginkos which bare a small fruit that looks something like a persimmon. The fruit smells exactly like dog poop. As we set up, both Jo and I kept checking the bottoms of our shoes, trying to find the source of the smell. Even after the show started, I saw several customers enter our booth and then check the bottoms of their shoes. Later in the day, more knowledgeable exhibitors clued us in on the source of the stink.

Jo's booth spot wasn't exactly level.

This time around, I think the entire boulevard had been given a good raking earlier in the day. There was a female ginko nearby, but few fruit were on the ground. The main inconvenience while setting up was mosquitoes -- not something one normally expects during a fall show in St. Louis, but temperatures have been mild and a lot of rain has fallen during early fall.

► We left the show and drove straight back to the hotel where we ate a little supper, watched TV for a short while and went to bed.